This grilled flank steak is full of flavor from the bold marinade of balsamic vinegar, shallots, and cilantro. The long marinating time not only allows the meat to soak up the flavors but also helps to make it more tender. We serve this Grilled Flank Steak with Cilantro Balsamic Marinade with grilled sweet potatoes and poblano peppers (recipe coming Wednesday)! I've been slowly getting back into the kitchen, but dinner has been the toughest one to get excited about. The end of the day is always a little harder on me, so I'm usually out of steam and don't want to think about feeding myself or my family. On the days where we didn't have a meal brought over by a friend, we either picked up Chipotle or had hot dogs! My standard order there is a burrito bowl with carnitas or chicken, salsa, lettuce, and guacamole. Sometimes cheese if I'm feeling indulgent. After a few months of that frequent order, I can say that I need a big long break from Chipotle. By the way, if you want to make a Chipotle burrito bowl at home, try my crock pot Chipotle Barbacoa Beef! I finally had the urge to cook dinner again last week and had a couple of grass-fed flank steaks in the freezer from US Wellness Meats, and it felt really nice. Well except for the part of standing over a hot grill when it was 102 out. But otherwise, it was great to get back in the kitchen and provide food for my family. One of the simple things that I have always enjoyed, and I am happy that that part of my life is coming back. Asher doesn't normally love steak, but he does love my basil balsamic vinaigrette from the Against all Grain cookbook, and I think this steak has a similar flavor. With some coercion, I got him to try this Grilled Flank Steak with Cilantro Balsamic Marinade and he liked it! We had a lot left over since it was just the three of us, so we've been tossing it on salads and into breakfast hashes all week.
Grilled Flank Steak with Cilantro Balsamic Marinade
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
SERVES: 6 to 8
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 10 mins> TOTAL TIME: 25 mins
- 1/2 cup good quality balsamic vinegar (no added sugar)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, or melted ghee
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 shallot, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 3 pounds flank steak
- Combine the first 9 ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Place the steaks in a large dish or a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade overtop. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours, but no more. Turn the steaks over in the marinade half way through.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Remove the steaks from the marinade and blot off any excess with paper towels.
- Grill the steaks for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on thickness, for medium-rare doneness.
- Remove from the grill and tent with foil for 15 minutes to allow the meat to rest and the juices to redistribute. Slice thinly against the grain
Keywords: gluten free, keto friendly, main dish, nut free, paleo, whole30, Cookout, summer
Hi there! The photos of this recipe and content above are copyright protected.
Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Please do not copy this recipe and share it on your own site. If you wish to tell people about this recipe, please provide a link back to the recipe here on my blog rather than copying the recipe. If you make significant changes to a recipe, you are welcome to rewrite it in your own unique words and provide a link back here for credit. Thank you!