Dairy Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup chopped mint leaves
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup shaved dark chocolate (dairy and soy free)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract or mint liqueur
- Whisk together the almond milk, egg yolks, honey, and chopped mint leaves in a sauce pan. Warm over medium-high heat stirring constantly for 15 minutes, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Be careful not to let it boil.
- Transfer mixture to a glass bowl, and let cool to room temperature for about 20 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure to press the plastic wrap directly on the liquid, so there is no condensation. If water gets into the mixture, it will make your ice cream more “icy” rather than creamy.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill until cold, at least 2 hours.
- Remove the batter from the refrigerator and add 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract or a mint liqueur. The alcohol will helps make the ice cream easier to scoop after freezing.
Strain the mixture to remove the mint.
Using your ice cream maker (I use the Kitchen Aid stand mixer
attachment) according to the manufacturer’s instructions, process the chilled ice cream mixture. If you want to get the green color that you so fondly remember from your childhood, add in a few drops of a green gel food coloring or puree a few mint leaves and add them to the mixture.
- Remove the mixing device, and stir in the chocolate shavings (or topping of your choice) by hand.
- Turn the ice cream into an air tight container. Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ice cream so freezer burn doesn’t occur. Freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.
- To serve, leave at room temperature for 15 minutes.
dairy free, dessert, gluten free, paleo, scd, vegetarian, summertime, ice cream
Hi there! The photos of this recipe and content above are copyright protected.
Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Please do not copy this recipe and share it on your own site. If you wish to tell people about this recipe, please provide a link back to the recipe here on my blog rather than copying the recipe. If you make significant changes to a recipe, you are welcome to rewrite it in your own unique words and provide a link back here for credit. Thank you!