Celebrations Sneak Peak: Creamed Spinach
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 1 cup (about 150g) whole raw cashews
- 3 pounds spinach, stems trimmed
- 2 tablespoons ghee, extra-virgin olive oil or grass-fed unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover them with boiling water. Soak for 1 hour.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the spinach. Cook until bright green and wilted, about 2 minutes. Pour the spinach into a colander and apply pressure to the top to remove all of the liquid. Transfer the spinach to a cutting board and coarsely chop it. If there’s still a lot of liquid coming out, place a towel over the top and apply pressure to soak up any remaining water.
- Heat the ghee in the same pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, drain the cashews and add them to a blender with the water, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and nutmeg. Blend on high for about 1 minute, until very smooth.
- Stir the cashew cream into the spinach mixture, then remove from the heat. Serve immediately.
*make it ahead – This dish can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Return the mixture to a skillet over medium-low heat and stir until heated through.
Hi there! The photos of this recipe and content above are copyright protected.
Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to share this recipe, please provide a link back to the recipe on my blog. If you make significant changes to the recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and provide a link back here for credit. Thank you!