Growing up, I was never much of a waffle or pancake girl. I think it may have had something to do with the chalky mixes that we always bought. I adore my grain-free pancake and waffle recipes, but I will always be a French Toast girl if I have to chose between the three. Here’s an easy, dairy and grain free French Toast recipe for your weekend! You can use my sandwich bread recipe or any grain-free bread to make this french toast Paleo and SCD legal.
French Toast with Grilled Bananas
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
SERVES: 8 slices
- 1 loaf of Grain Free Sandwich Bread
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, sliced in half then again lengthwise
- Slice the loaf into 8 thick slices. The loaf doesn’t stand very tall, so for bigger pieces like in the photos, cut the loaf in half to make 2 squares, then slice into 8 slices lengthwise.
- In a shallow pan, whisk together the eggs, milk, spices, and vanilla.
- Heat a little coconut oil in skillet over medium0-high heat.
- Dip each slice in the batter letting it sit on each side for 30 seconds so the bread can soak up the mixture a bit.
- Pan fry each slice for 1 minute on each side, or until slightly browned and crispy on the outside. I like to press them down with a spatula to push some of the egg mixture out of the bread so they are not too soggy on the inside.
- Once you’ve cooked all of the slices, add the banana slices to the same pan and cook for a couple of minutes until they are caramelized on one side.
- Serve the french toast with the grilled bananas and drizzled with honey or maple syrup.
* indicates required