Chai Tea Concentrate
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 10 cups filtered water
- 18 bags black tea (preferably darjeeling)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 3 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons whole cardamom pods, smashed with the butt of a knife
- 1½ teaspoon peppercorns
- 1½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon lime juice
- Bring the water and tea bags to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat to a simmer and add everything except the lime juice and honey.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove the tea bags and continue simmering with the spices for an additional 20 minutes.
- Strain the tea into a large bowl and discard the spices. Stir in the honey and lime juice while the tea is still hot.
- Fill sterilized jars leaving a ¼ inch of head-space. Seal the jars and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Remove with tongs and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. Lightly press the center of the lid with your finger. If it sealed properly, the lid will not flex up or down (or pop).
- This concentrate will last in the fridge for 2 weeks or at room temperature for 3 days.
Mix 1 part concentrate with 2 parts milk (I like using half coconut and half almond) and heat or serve over ice.
gluten free, dairy free, nut free, paleo, scd, egg free, dessert, breakfast, drinks, holiday, winter, fall, starbucks
Hi there! The photos of this recipe and content above are copyright protected.
Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Please do not copy this recipe and share it on your own site. If you wish to tell people about this recipe, please provide a link back to the recipe here on my blog rather than copying the recipe. If you make significant changes to a recipe, you are welcome to rewrite it in your own unique words and provide a link back here for credit. Thank you!