Hopefully you saw the feature The Doctors did on my health story a few months back. Or possibly you are now coming to this blog and my book after seeing the show! After the great reception of the first show and since we didn’t have time in the segment to talk much about food, they invited me back to show the hosts and the audience how to swap out ingredients in standard take-out meals for healthy, grain-free alternatives!
We had a great time and they particularly loved this vegetarian Pad Thai, which I wanted to share here with you today! The show was trying to keep these dishes lower in calories, so we made them vegetarian, but feel free to add prawns, chicken, or beef to this as well to add even more protein!
The Doctors TV and Pad Thai Recipe
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
• 2 medium zucchini, peeled
• 2 large carrots, peeled
• 2 green onions, chopped
• 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
• 1 cup cauliflower florets (May use broccoli, if preferred)
• 1 cup bean sprouts
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 1/2 cup fresh coriander or cilantro
• Optional: crushed roasted cashews
• 1/4 cup tahini
• 1/4 cup almond butter (or cashew butter, or blend of both)
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 1/4 cup coconut aminos
• 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar, or coconut crystals
• 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
1. Use a spiralizer or mandolin to create noodles from the carrot and zucchini. Place them in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk sauce ingredients. Sauce will be thick, but will thin out after mixed with vegetables.
3. In a sauté pan, heat oil. Once hot, sauté cabbage, cauliflower and bean sprouts. When close to being done, add carrot and zucchini noodles to pan. Stir and cook until “noodles” are slightly heated through.
4. Pour sauce over mixture and toss until all combined. Garnish with coriander or cilantro and crushed cashews.