Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Celebrations Sneak Peak: Creamed Spinach
Posted By Danielle Walker On January 3, 2017 @ 10:21 am
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 1 cup (about 150g) whole raw cashews
- 3 pounds spinach, stems trimmed
- 2 tablespoons ghee, extra-virgin olive oil or grass-fed unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover them with boiling water. Soak for 1 hour.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the spinach. Cook until bright green and wilted, about 2 minutes. Pour the spinach into a colander and apply pressure to the top to remove all of the liquid. Transfer the spinach to a cutting board and coarsely chop it. If there’s still a lot of liquid coming out, place a towel over the top and apply pressure to soak up any remaining water.
- Heat the ghee in the same pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, drain the cashews and add them to a blender with the water, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and nutmeg. Blend on high for about 1 minute, until very smooth.
- Stir the cashew cream into the spinach mixture, then remove from the heat. Serve immediately.
*make it ahead – This dish can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Return the mixture to a skillet over medium-low heat and stir until heated through.
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2017/01/03/dairy-free-cream-spinach-recipe/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.