Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Leftover Roast Chicken Soup with Roasted Vegetables
Posted By Danielle Walker On January 30, 2013 @ 7:00 am
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed*
- ½ yellow onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock, store-bought or homemade
- 2-3 cups leftover shredded chicken or 1 pound uncooked chicken breasts
- ¾ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups baby spinach
*For SCD, eliminate the sweet potato and increase the butternut squash to 2.5 cups
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss the vegetables in the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large stockpot. Add the chicken, herbs, and salt and pepper. Cover and cook while the vegetables are roasting, about 15 minutes. For raw chicken breasts, cook for about 45 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and tender enough to shred with a fork.
- Add half the vegetables to the soup, and place the other half in a blender. Make sure to put all of the onions quarters into the blender. Puree the vegetables with the 1 cup of water.
- Add the vegetable puree and baby spinach to the soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the spinach is wilted and the soup is hot.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste.
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2013/01/30/leftover-roast-chicken-soup-with-roasted-vegetables/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.