Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Chai Tea Concentrate
Posted By Danielle Walker On December 20, 2012 @ 12:04 am
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 10 cups filtered water
- 18 bags black tea (preferably darjeeling)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 star anise
- 3 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1½ teaspoons whole cardamom pods, smashed with the butt of a knife
- 1½ teaspoon peppercorns
- 1½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon lime juice
- Bring the water and tea bags to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat to a simmer and add everything except the lime juice and honey.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove the tea bags and continue simmering with the spices for an additional 20 minutes.
- Strain the tea into a large bowl and discard the spices. Stir in the honey and lime juice while the tea is still hot.
- Fill sterilized jars leaving a ¼ inch of head-space. Seal the jars and process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes. Remove with tongs and let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes. Lightly press the center of the lid with your finger. If it sealed properly, the lid will not flex up or down (or pop).
- This concentrate will last in the fridge for 2 weeks or at room temperature for 3 days.
Mix 1 part concentrate with 2 parts milk (I like using half coconut and half almond) and heat or serve over ice.
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2012/12/20/chai-tea-concentrate/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.