Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Peppermint Marshmallow Crunch Cookies
Posted By Danielle Walker On December 12, 2012 @ 10:40 pm
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- • 2 large egg whites, about 4 tablespoons
- • ½ cup honey, lighter colored preferred
- • pinch of sea salt
- • ⅛ teaspoon ice water
- • ⅛ teaspoon lemon juice
- • ⅛ teaspoon peppermint extract
- • optional: red food coloring (I used Wilton but this is an all natural one)
- Prepare your dehydrator or preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Bring 2 inches of water to a simmer in a saucepan. In a heatproof stand-mixer bowl, combine the egg whites, honey, and pinch of salt.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water, careful not to let it touch the water. Whisk the egg whites vigorously until the mixture registers 140 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, then transfer the mixing bowl to your stand mixer. Immediately begin whipping on medium-high until mixture has cooled and formed stiff, glossy peaks, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add water, lemon juice, and peppermint extract. Raise speed to medium, and whisk until combined.
- Line trays with parchment paper then spoon meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe the meringues into star shapes or candy canes.
- Fill a bowl with 1 teaspoon water and a 6 drops of red food coloring. Dip a Q-tip in it and lightly paint the red stripes.
- Place the trays in the dehydrator at 150 degrees for 24 hours, then turn the dehydrator off and leave the door closed for 30 minutes.The cookies will be soft to the touch until they cool completely.
- For the oven method – bake at 170 degrees until hard to the touch but not cracked or browned, 2 to 3 hours. Let cool in the oven with the door closed.
- Immediately place in an airtight container as these cookies will absorb atmospheric moisture. If they get sticky, just pop them in the oven at 170 for 10-15 minutes. Cookies will keep for 5-7 days.
Dehydrator: 24 hours | Oven: 4 hours (will result in a darker colored meringue)
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2012/12/12/peppermint-marshmallow-crunch-cookies/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.