Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Homemade Fruit By The Foot
Posted By Danielle Walker On June 26, 2012 @ 6:00 am
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 4 cups mixed berries (I used raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice or water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon honey (you may need more if your berries are really sour)
*If using frozen berries, omit the apple juice and substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the berries have popped and some of the liquid has evaporated.
- Pour the mixture into a blender, then carefully blend until smooth.
- Line 2 rimmed baking trays with a SilPat or parchment paper, then pour half of the fruit mixture through a fine mesh sieve and onto the first tray and half onto the second. Use a spatula to lightly spread the mixture evenly across the baking sheet, to about 1/8 inch thick.
- If you have a dehydrator with a fan in the back, these will only take about 3 hours on the high (150 degrees) setting. Without a fan, they’ll take about 8-10 hours on 150 degrees. I would assume that a convection oven would also take less time, but have not tried it yet.
- You will know they’re done when you touch them lightly with your finger and they are no longer sticky. If the edges get a little too brittle and dry, you can brush a tiny bit of water over it and will be good as new!
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2012/06/26/homemade-fruit-by-the-foot/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.