Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Hunger Games Lamb Stew with Dried Plums
Posted By Danielle Walker On April 13, 2012 @ 10:47 pm
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 1-1/2 pounds lamb top round roast – trimmed of fat and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- ½ tablespoon tomato paste (this one is SCD legal)
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- ½ cup dried plums, halved
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a dutch oven or large cast iron pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Thoroughly dry the lamb with paper towels, then working in batches, brown the meat in the olive oil on all sides – about 5-7 minutes. Remove the lamb, then set aside.
- Add the onions, garlic, and carrots, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the wine, chicken stock and tomato paste. Stir while you pour in the liquid to remove the bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a boil, then return the lamb to the pot. Add the bay leaf, rosemary, parsley, and thyme.
- Cover and place in the preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring only once half way through. Don’t lift the lid other than once, so the braising liquid stays hot and the steam stays trapped inside to ensure tender meat.
- Remove the pot from the oven, then carefully remove all of the onions and carrots and ⅓ of the pan juices. Discard the carrots, or keep them for another use. Set the onions and juices aside for later.
- Add the butternut squash, plums, raisins, salt and pepper to the pan, then return it back into the oven for an additional 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the reserved onions and ⅓ cup pan juices in a blender and process until smooth and thick. Keep covered and warm until the stew comes out of the oven.
- Pull the stew from the oven, and remove the herb sprigs. Stir in the onion puree.
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2012/04/13/hunger-games-lamb-stew-with-dried-plums/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.