Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Meringue Madness – Meringue Cookies 3 Ways
Posted By Danielle Walker On March 2, 2012 @ 7:00 am
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 2 large egg whites, about 4 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup honey
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ice water
- Hazelnut Chocolate: 1/4 cup toasted and finely chopped hazelnuts + 2 tablespoons sifted raw cacao
- Chocolate Chip: seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean + 1/4 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- Vanilla Coconut: seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean + 3 tablespoons dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- Bring 2 inches of water to a simmer in a saucepan. In a heatproof mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, honey, and pinch of salt. *If you decide to do the coconut or the chocolate chip version, also add the seeds from 1/2 of a vanilla bean while the egg whites are over the heat.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water, careful not to let it touch the water. Whisk the egg whites constantly for 3-5 minutes, until they are warm to the touch.
- Remove from the heat, then transfer the mixing bowl to your stand mixer. Immediately begin whipping on high.
- Pour in the teaspoon of ice water, then keep beating on high until thick and glossy, about 5 minutes.
- Now you chose your flavor! Or if you’re like me, divide the meringue up and make multiple flavors!
- Drop the batter by heaping tablespoons onto a parchment lined cookie sheet, or pipe with a pastry tip. *For the vanilla coconut, sprinkle the shredded coconut on top of the peaks before drying.
To Bake: Bake at 175 for 1.5 hours until the meringues are dry to the touch but not brown, then turn the oven off and let them cool with the oven door closed for another hour.
To Dehydrate: Dehydrate meringues at 135 degrees for 4 hours. Turn the dehydrator off, then with the door closed, let them cool and harden for 1 hour.
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2012/03/02/meringue-madness-meringue-cookies-3-ways/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.