Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Grain-Free Thanksgiving Stuffing
Posted By Danielle Walker On November 21, 2011 @ 8:00 am
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
For the bread:
- 2-1/2 cups almond flour (2 & 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces farmers cheese (
dripped yogurt or thick greek yogurt will work too)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, chopped (rosemary, parsley, or thyme)
For the stuffing:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks (leaves included), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 2 sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 pound sweet italian sausage (SCD legal)
- 1 medium fuji apple, chopped with skin on
- 6 cups bread cubes
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1-1/4 cups turkey stock (or SCD legal chicken broth)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 7 tablespoons salted butter
- Combine all bread ingredients (except for the flour and water) in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the flour and water and pulse until dough is combined. Dough will be a very sticky consistency.
- Grease a 9×9 pan and put a rectangular piece of parchment paper at the bottom. This will help the loaf come out easily. Spread a little more oil on top of the parchment piece.
- Fold the dough into pan and even it out with a spatula.
- Bake at 325° for about 35 minutes. Careful to not let the top burn.
- While the bread is baking, saute the celery, onions, garlic, sausage, apples, herbs and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon olive oil for about 15 minutes. Add the vermouth and bring to a boil. Remove from heat while you wait for the loaf to bake and cool.
- Once the bread has cooled, slice it in half lengthwise to make two thin loaves. Next, slice it into 1/2 inch strips and then across those cuts to make small cubes.
- Coat with 5 tbsp melted butter. Place on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for 30 minutes on 300° turning occasionally. The bread should come out golden brown and slightly dry.
- Toss the bread crumbs with the sauteed mixture, eggs, salt and pepper, and turkey stock.
- Transfer stuffing to a well buttered baking dish and sprinkle the additional 2 tablespoons of butter on top. Cover with foil, and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes until top is golden.
Tip : make the bread and toast it a couple of days before and store the toasted cubes in a ziplock. You can also saute the mixture the night before Thanksgiving and then put it all together right before baking.
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2011/11/21/grain-free-thanksgiving-stuffing/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.