Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream
Posted By Danielle Walker On October 17, 2011 @ 7:06 pm
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 can regular coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- ½ teaspoon whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ cup grade B maple syrup (or honey for SCD)
- 1 cup roasted sugar pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin will also work)
- 1 teaspoon bourbon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, whisk together the coconut milk, sweetener, and spices. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat immediately to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Strain ice cream mixture into a bowl removing the spices, and stir in pumpkin. Cover with plastic wrap. Make sure to press the plastic wrap directly on the liquid, so there is no condensation. If water gets into the mixture, it will make your ice cream more “icy” rather than creamy.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill until cold, at least 2 hours.
- Remove the batter from the refrigerator and add the vanilla extract. The alcohol in the extract helps make the ice cream creamy and easier to scoop after freezing.
- Using your ice cream maker (I use the Kitchen Aid stand mixer attachment) according to the manufacturer’s instructions, process the chilled ice cream mixture.
- If you want to add any toppings into the ice cream, make sure to do so in the last 5 minutes of churning, once the mixture is at a soft serve consistency.
- Turn the ice cream into an air tight container. Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ice cream so freezer burn doesn’t occur. Freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.
- To serve, leave at room temperature for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and pumpkin seeds.
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2011/10/17/vegan-pumpkin-spice-ice-cream/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.