Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Crock Pot Italian Fagioli Soup
Posted By Danielle Walker On September 30, 2011 @ 12:18 pm
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 1 pound ground dark meat turkey
- 1.5 cups Pomi strained tomatoes (or your choice of tomato sauce)
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 cups yellow squash
- 3 cups chicken broth, homemade or low sodium
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup soaked and cooked Kidney beans
- 1 cup soaked and cooked Great Northern Beans
- 2 pieces uncured applewood smoked bacon (nitrate and sugar free)
- Freshly grated Parmesan (for serving)
- Brown the ground turkey over medium heat.
- Drain the meat, and put it into a slow cooker.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, celery, garlic, carrots, squash, chicken broth, vinegar, seasonings, and salt and pepper.
- Set the crock pot to the low setting for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
- When there are 2 hours left in the cooking time, stir in the 2 pieces of bacon and the beans.
- When the timer goes off, remove the bacon. Test for seasoning, and adjust the salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2011/09/30/italian-turkey-and-bean-soup/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.