Danielle Walker's Against All Grain
Beef Pot Roast
Posted By Danielle Walker On January 3, 2010 @ 6:43 pm
Danielle Walker - AgainstAllGrain.com
- 3 lb shoulder roast
- 1 1/2 cup Burgundy wine
- 5 Roma tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 Yellow Onion (halved)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (crushed)
- 1 cup leeks (green and white parts)
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 3 Celery Stalks (Chopped)
- 6 Carrots (cubed)
- 1 cup Cremini mushrooms
- 3 branches thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Salt and Pepper
- Pat the beef dry with a paper towel.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the roast and sear for 4 to 5 minutes, until browned. Turn and sear the other side and then turn and sear the ends.
- Place the carrots, onions, celery, leeks, garlic, 1 tablespoon salt and pepper in a crock pot.
- Place roast on top of vegetables, then add the wine, tomatoes, and chicken stock.
- Tie the thyme and rosemary together with kitchen string and add to the pot.
- Turn the crock pot on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Remove the roast to a cutting board.
- Remove the herb bundle and discard.
- Skim off as much fat as possible from the sauce.
- Transfer half the sauce and vegetables to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the puree back into the pot.
- Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Remove the strings from the roast, and slice the meat.
- Serve warm on a bed of sauteed spinach with garlic and with the sauce spooned over it.
URL to article: http://againstallgrain.com/2010/01/03/beef-pot-roast/
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2014 Against All Grain. All rights reserved.